Friday 30 September 2011

Neil Gaiman's Delirium


So this week I read the Brief Lives volume of the Sandman comics and it is the perfect example of how comics can be so much more than super-heroes and they can make you think and feel just as much as any regular book.  

I'm officially in love with Neil Gaiman.  

He's cropped up quite a lot over the years in stuff I've seen and (later) read such as Coraline and Stardust, and an episode in this series of Doctor Who (The Doctor's Wife) which was one of my favourites.

So anyway, Brief Lives. Easily the best volume (I've read) so far, other's could just as easily take over it but whatever. Delirium is a lovely, chaotic change from Dream, where he always knows exactly what to do and where to go, she appears more or less unable to sort herself out. The piece above is inspired by the scene in her hotel room when she "simply lets herself go" and her head looks like her mind is screaming  and its just lovely.

 I've tried making her look a little more modern ( The Endless are supposed to look how we think they appear and therefore should reflect the times a little more) so I made her wander through a charity-shop and pick out bright things that would grab her attention. I originally coloured this with ball-point pens which is why it looks extra sketchy, I then made the colours brighter in Photoshop (I hate how scanners make everything so pale!) I'm not entirely sure why she's falling apart, probably something strange like she created ice-cream that tasted like porcelain cats.  

No comments:

Post a Comment